Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Simple Tomato Basil Salad



Sometimes, you just don’t have the time -- or inclination -- to create something extravagant. Fortunately, this time of year is perfect for understated cooking. The fresh produce speaks for itself.

Two notes: make this salad shortly before serving (perhaps 20 minutes) and don’t refrigerate the tomatoes; doing so saps their flavor.

Simple Tomato Basil Salad

5 to 6 ripe tomatoes, chopped
10 large basil leaves, cut in a chiffonade
¼ red onion, diced
Balsamic vinaigrette (homemade or Newman’s Own)
Salt and Pepper

Combine the tomatoes, basil, and onions in a medium bowl, mixing to combine. Toss with just enough vinaigrette to flavor – but not overwhelm – the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper; garnish with whole basil leaves. Serves 4-6.

Grade: A

3 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

I make something just like this, only with a little goat cheese crumbled over. Looks delicious!

Laura Rebecca said...

Though I'm not a big goat cheese fan (I know, I'm a freak), that sounds like a wonderful idea.

When I need to bring a salad or side dish to a summer picnic, I'll frequently chop up equal amounts of tomatoes and mozzerella (e.g., 3 pounds each) and toss them with basil, balsamic vinagrette, and S&P. People are very impressed with it, especially if it's served in a dark blue (contrasts with the reds and greens) or transparent (displays the salad's colors) bowl.

Anonymous said...

Tomato and basil are two of my favorite things about summer. I especially like it with mozzarella.