Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Fruity Pebbles Treats

Photo courtesy of KraftFoods.com


A few weeks ago, an old friend from high school mentioned his experience going on a field trip with his son's class. Normally mild-mannered, in the company of 20 other 8 year olds hepped up on Capri Sun, Chips Ahoy, and sheer I'm-not-at-school excitment, his son was bouncing off the walls. As were all the other kids.

Today it's my turn to go on a field trip; we're headed to the planetarium. Sadie's class is boisterious but at heart, a nice group of kids. (There are always, however, those children who are kind of creepy. I'm pretty sure this kid is the one who always wants to hold my hand.)

It should be intersting as all the second grade classes -- not just Sadie's -- are going. I'm expecting the day to be a cross between Lord of the Flies and Apocolypse Now.

So in honor of field trips and the sugar filled, junk food laden snacks that the accompany them, below you'll find the kid-friendly recipe for Fruity Pebbles Treats. And I do mean kid-friendly, because the average adult will probably find these much too sweet. (But I like them in small doses.)

I made two batches last week for Kian and Sadie's respective school parties and they were very happy kids. (But with all the sugar in these bars, I'm pretty sure their teachers now hate me.)

I thought about making some for today's trip but decided against it. I don't want to be the one bringing the electric Kool Aid to the party.


Fruity Pebbles Treats

1/2 stick butter or margarine
10.5 oz. pkg. mini marshmallows
13 oz. box Fruity Pebbles Cereal (about 8-1/2 cups)

Line a 13x9-inch pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides of pan and grease lightly.

In a very large bowl, microwave butter on high for 45 sec. or until melted. Add marshmallows and toss to coat. Microwave 1 1/2 min. or until marshmallows are completely melted and mixture is well blended, stirring after 45 sec.

Add cereal; mix well. (Grease your spoon or spatula before mixing.)

Place cereal mixture into pan. Top with parchment paper and press mixture firmly into pan. Remove parchment and allow mixture to cool.

Lift cereal bars from pan using foil handles, and cut into 24 squares. (A pizza wheel works well for this task.)

For "ribbons" as pictured above, cut 9 chewy fruit snack rolls lengthwise in half, then use to wrap around cereal squares and make bows as desired, cutting into shorter lengths as necessary.

Grade: Kids and super-sweet lovers give it an A+

6 comments:

Miasys said...

Oh, Laura Rebecca! God love you for making these, but I cringed when I saw them! Can't tell you how many parties/events/outings I went to last year for my son's 5th grade class. The best I could hope for is that in the two hours between the party and the end of school, he would work off all that sugar before he got home. I, too, always had some strange child scooting ever closer to me, sharing odd tidbits of information. By 6th grade, they are too "cool" for the class parties, so you should enjoy them while they last.

Acme Instant Food said...

Sweet, yes. However I am not your "average adult." I could eat a pantry full of em I bet.

Anonymous said...

Well!That's different!

Laura Rebecca said...

Gena -- I know, but seriously, kids love (loooooooooove)them. I don't make them very often, however: before last week, the last time I'd made them was June 2005.

Kevin -- I'm sort of re-thinking what I said about tolerating them in "low doses." Depending on my mood, I can scarf them. But I feel sort of ashamed saying that.

Glowing praise from Emily, everyone! ;) But you're right: they are not your run of the mill treat. Not only are they packed with sugar, but they have colors in them not found in nature. Mmmm, delicious!

Anonymous said...

I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
your service! The treat ib beyond good! Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

I made these but used 1/2 rice krispies and 1/2 fruity pebbles. That cuts down on the supersweetness! Thanks!