Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Peanut Butter Cup Brownies


Taking a page from Very Good Things, I made a batch of peanut butter cup brownies.

Although I love Alicat/Paula Dean's idea of Peanut Butter Brownie Cupcakes, I was too lazy to actually fill up individual cupcake tins.

Which, when you think about it, is seriously lazy.

Instead, I lined a 13x9-inch pan with aluminum foil, sprayed the bottom with a bit of oil, and placed 75-percent of the batter in the pan. (The batter came from a store-bought brownie mix.) Then I topped the batter with 39 mini Reese’s Peanut Butter cups and the remaining brownie batter, and baked it according to the package directions.

These were made for a reception following a choral concert and were snapped up pretty quickly, although they would have been better if I had used a better brownie mix. Still, peanut butter and chocolate are a damn fine combo.

Peanut Butter Cup Brownies
1 (18 1/2 ounce) package chewy fudge brownie mix, plus the ingrediants specified on the package
39 Reese’s Peanut Butter cups

Preheat oven to 350-degrees F. Line a 13x9-inch pan with foil, letting the edges overhang the sides and spray the bottom lined pan with cooking oil.

Prepare the brownie mix according to the directions on the package for cake-like brownies. Pour 75-percent of the brownie mix into the pan, then top with peanut butter cups (see photo below for illustration). Add remaining batter, attempting to cover the peanut butter cups.

Bake according to package directions, until a toothpick inserted in the middle (but not in a peanut butter cup) comes out clean. Allow to cool completely, then using foil, lift brownies out of the pan. Cut with pizza wheel or bread knife. Store in an airtight container. Yields 24 brownies.

Grade: B (higher with a tastier brownie mix)

3 comments:

Rachel said...

They sound yummy! I bet they would be good with dk chocolate mini cups too!

Acme Instant Food said...

Looks like a great "Does my Blog Look Good in This" photo entry!

Laura Rebecca said...

Rachel, I think you're right on the money. This recipe could really be tweaked to maximum mouth-watering perfection.

Kevin, thank you! But I've seen those pictures and they consistently blow me away. I don't think I'm in that league yet.