Thursday, June 01, 2006

Fondues and Don'ts

Fon-don't-know-where-the-crab-went.


Last week, when Shane and the kids were away, I decided to make a fondue using some leftover crabmeat. I threw everything together, popped it in the oven and 25 minutes later, it was done. I sat down with some slices of French bread and a glass of Spanish red wine. I dipped, I tasted.

Very, very good. The type of good that makes your tastebuds sing. I inhaled it happily, wondering all the while why I couldn't taste the crab.

Then I realised: the crab remained its container, unopened, in the fridge. Oops.

I'm always impressed with a recipe that works even when I leave out a key ingredient. I can only imagine this would be even better with crabmeat.

Crabmeat (or not) Fondue (Courtsey of Food Network)

4 oz. crabmeat (evidentally optional)
1/4 c. plus 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 c. grated Asiago cheese
1/2 clove garlic, minced
Paprika
1/3 of a French baguette

Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.

In a medium bowl, mix crabmeat, mayonnaise, onion, Asiago, garlic, and paprika together. Put mixture into an ovenproof baking dish. Cover and bake until mixture is heated through and bubbly, about 20 minutes. Remove cover, and bake until golden brown, an additional 5 minutes.

Serve with torn pieces of baguette. Serves 1.

Grade: A+


PS: Happy Birthday Andrea!


5 comments:

Acme Instant Food said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Acme Instant Food said...

Perhaps, subconsciously, that was not a goof cause it looks so amazing just as it is!

Crystal said...

Yum! The fondue looks great. I've only had fondue once and your idea as a single meal is wonderful. I'll have to try it when my boyfriend has school.

-Crystal

Lis said...

Sounds wonderful! Another excellent fondue recipe on the foodtv site is Rachel's German Cheddar and Beer fondue. Yum!

Anonymous said...

How in the world did I miss this luscious, gorgeous thing of beauty. My mouth is watering!