Friday, June 09, 2006

Fresh Tomato and Basil Pasta



For the Weekend Cookbook Challenge, I turned to a simple dish from the homegrown (and published) Fall Favorites Cookbook 2005. Sure, I’ve done a lot of tomato-basil recipes lately, but the weather is warmer and I can’t get enough of them. They’re fresh and summery.

This is a simple meal, great for a hot day when you don’t feel like cooking, and, best of all, delicious. It keeps well for outdoor parties -- no refrigeration needed. Serve with good, crusty bread, and a light, crisp wine.

Fresh Tomato and Basil Pasta

1 lb. ripe tomatoes, chopped (cherry or grape tomatoes work as nicely as regular tomatoes)
1 sweet Italian pepper, seeds removed and cut into thin slices
A handful of basil leaves, chopped
½ cup (or more) extra virgin olive oil
Salt and Pepper
1 cup mozzarella, shredded
8 oz. farfalle pasta
Parmesan, to taste

In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, pepper, basil, oil, salt and pepper, tossing to coat. Allow to stand at room temperature for at least two hours.

Cook pasta until al dente, drain well, and toss with vegetables. Sprinkle with mozzarella, tossing to coat. Serve pasta warm or at room temperature with parmesan. Serves 4.

Grade: A-

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just gorgeous!

Fran said...

Love pasta salad & I have these ingredients. Looks great!

Lis said...

This looks yummy.. course anything tomatoey and basilly sounds loverly for summer. I bought my herbs last night for my strawberry pot, including a beautiful basil plant, now I'm just waiting for our tomatoes! I can't wait until they are mature :D

Anonymous said...

I love pasta,and that looks so very good.

Ziz said...

looks beautiful and delicious! For some reason, pasta dishes always taste better to me when I use farfalle. :O)

Thank you so much for participating! :)

Sara said...

Looks wonderful! This is definetly the time of year for basil and tomatos.