Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Paula Deen's Peanut Butter Bread



Oh, Paula.

We started off so well, and now... this.

Your recipe is so simple. It seems so wonderful, so comforting: a quick bread featuring peanut butter, a childhood favorite.

But this; this is "eh." Ok, warm out of the oven, smeared with jam or a bit of honey butter, yes, I had two pieces. But the next morning? Boring. Dull. Uninspiring.

Paula, honey – I threw the rest of the loaf out. (It landed with a heavy thud in the trash bin.)

I don’t want to fight again, Paula. I’ve been thinking about those gooey butter cakes you make – and you raaaaaaave about them – and I hope they really are good.

Because this isn’t. And I know you – no, we -- can do better.

Paula Deen’s Peanut Butter Bread

2 c. flour
1/3 c. sugar
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp. baking powder
1 ½ c. milk
½ c. peanut butter.

Preheat oven to 375-degrees. Grease a 8x4x3-inch loaf pan. Combine dry ingredients, then stir in milk and peanut butter. Pour batter into pan and bake for approx. 50 minutes.

Grade: C

6 comments:

Acme Instant Food said...

I'm not that familiar with Paula Deen (except to note that her sons are noteworthy). It seems that the culinary pendulum is swinging the other direction--away from fear of butter and such and into the old-fashioned, "comfort" type food arena. Paula Deen seems to exemplify this as does Nigella Lawson. I've noticed lately that frozen yogurt is passe and ice cream is IN again. Oh please food lord--let the pendulum stay on this side for a while.

Acme Instant Food said...

Also, dear Laura Rebecca, you are an amazing blogger! You constantly post new entries that are always new, humorous, varied, and well-written. I've been blogging for just a short time and I've discovered what a task it is to keep the site fresh and to always find the right voice. You blow me away.

Can we have a round of applause for Laura Rebecca? Huh? Can we please?

clap clap clap clap clap clap clap

Laura Rebecca said...

Heh -- one Paula Deen son is a bit more noteworthy than the other.

I just made a batch of muffins for a party tomorrow (post tomorrow, too) and get this: you dip the top of the muffin in lovely melted butter, then roll it around in cinnamon sugar. How's that for old-fashioned deliciousness?

Thank you so much for the kind words (and ego stroking). I'm feeling a bit under the weather today (lovely allergies) but a good compliment always makes me feel better!

It's nice to be reassured, though, that I'm not the only one who gets food blog burn-out. Last night, we had cereal for dinner. How's THAT for gourmet cooking? (Well, it was an organic version Froot Loops...)

Lis said...

I have one bad recipe from her as well and I, like babycakes, can't push all the blame on Paula's recipe - I believe the chef screwed it up (My battle with meringues). Anyhoo.. I've made several of her gooey cakes and they were wonderful - you won't be disappointed. Well.. as long as you don't mind a heavy cheese cake served on a butter heavy cake base? teeee!

PS - I couldn't agree with Kevin more.. I look forward to your blog every day :D

Laura Rebecca said...

Thank you, Lis!

Maybe it's the peanut butter - I can't say I'm crazy about peanut butter cookies either.

Unknown said...

Too bad this recipe was a bust. I can vouch for her Ooey Goey Butter Cakes though...fantastic!