Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Oven-Roasted Maple Chicken 'n' Ribs



Someday, I will learn to photograph meat in a way that does not emulate a retro cookbook. Today is not the day.

I can say, however, that the recipe is fantastic. The mingling of cider, maple syrup, cinnamon, and star anise with the chicken and pork ribs is irresistible. While everything roasts, the most delicious perfume, sweet and exotic, wafts through the kitchen. By the time everything is cooked, it's no effort to dig in and enjoy.

The only "problem" is that a craving can't be immediately sated; the ribs and chicken must be marinated overnight, or up to 2 days ahead. Trust me, though: it's well worth the wait.


Oven-Roasted Maple Chicken 'n' Ribs (source: Nigella Lawson)

1 cup apple cider, as sharp as possible
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
6 unpeeled garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes (optional)
8 pork spareribs
6 chicken thighs with skin and bone.

In a large freezer bag or bowl, blend apple cider, maple syrup, vegetable oil and soy sauce. Add star anise, cinnamon stick, garlic and hot pepper flakes. Add pork and chicken and seal bag or cover bowl. Refrigerate overnight or up to 2 days.

Remove marinated mixture from refrigerator, and preheat oven to 400-degrees. Pour contents of bag or bowl (including liquid) into a large roasting pan. Turn chicken pieces skin side up.

Roast until chicken is opaque throughout and ribs are tender, about 1 1/4 hours; 35 to 40 minutes into roasting, turn ribs over, but leave chicken skin side up. Serve hot.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings.

5 comments:

Peabody said...

Meat is a hard one to photograph. Looks good to me, and the recipe sounds great.

Tracy said...

I've never taken a good photo of meat either. Not that I'm a good food photographer but meat is especially tricky.

It's funny how Nigella does so many recipes that I consider to be American. The first show I saw of hers was for chili. And chicken and ribs? Glad it was good, though!

Michele said...

I think it looks amazing! I love looking at your blog.... I hope it's okay, but I've left an award for you on my blog, http://abigcupoftea.blogspot.com/2008/07/smile-award.html. Do with it what you may, but you deserve it. You've always got such yummy things!
xoxo
michele

Jackie said...

Hi Rebecca

I was wondering what you mean by apple cider be as sharp as possible. Would it have the word sharp on the label when you buy it. Also what grade of maple syrup did you use, Grade A, Grade B etc.

Laura Rebecca said...

Use a cider that tastes sharp and has a bite to it, like cider should. It shouldn't be mellow like apple juice. (But this recipe doesn't call for alcoholic cider.)

I don't know what grade syrup I used; you could play around and see what you like best.