Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Pie #4: Apple Almond Cranberry Pie

Camera phones are the best.


I got a phone call yesterday from the Canandaigua BID (Business Improvement District), which ran the fruit pie baking contest.

The pie I entered into the contest won third place. Whooo! (Or in l33t, w00t!)

The whole thing was a bit random: I dropped the still-warm pie off just before noon on Saturday and they asked for my name and a phone number where I could be reached. Judging started at 1 pm.

No word on Saturday.

No word on Sunday.

No word on Monday.

By this time, figured I didn't win (actually, I'd given up hope by 2:30pm Saturday), so on Tuesday, I was pleasently surprised to hear that I'd won!

My prize? A giant wreath, with edges so pointy it can double as a weapon.

w00t!

Exhibit A: Wreath as Chinese Star.


Third Prize Winning Apple Almond Cranberry Pie (adapted from a recipe by Odense, via Simply Recipes)

1/2 roll (about 3.5 oz) Almond Paste
1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust
5 baking apples (like Granny Smith), peeled, cored, and sliced (about 5 cups)
1 cup fresh cranberries
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon, divided in half
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup uncooked oats
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
6 Tbsp. butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup chopped almonds (optional)

Preheat oven to 375-degrees F. Lightly butter a 9-inch pie plate and place pie dough into it. Roll almond paste on a sheet of wax paper to form an 8 to 9 inch circle. Press rolled almond paste into the bottom of an unbaked pie crust.

In a bowl, combine apples, cranberries, sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. Pour into pie shell.

In another bowl, combine the remaining cinnamon, flour, oats, and brown sugar. Cut butter into flour mixture until crumbs are formed. Spoon crumb mixture evenly over apples. Bake 50 to 60 minutes, sprinking with almonds (optional) during the last 5 minutes of cooking time.

Grade:A


4 comments:

emily said...

Congratulations! And a very happy birthday to you both.

Anonymous said...

congratulations!
if you ask me it really deserves a first place(!) it looks delicious! =)

Laura Rebecca said...

Thank you, ladies!

Lis said...

Congratulations!! :D