Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Beef Stroganoff

Beef Stroganoff: delicious but not photogenic.


More than any other season, autumn pulls me toward the kitchen. Maybe it's because so many of the things I love -- spiced desserts, hearty dinners, rich wines -- feel synonymous with fall.

Beef Stroganoff is a perfect comfort food after a long and chilly day. The beef, cut into hefty chunks, is flavorful, the mushrooms are tantalizing, the noodles are simple and delicious.

I came very close to adding some red wine but, never having made Stroganoff before, I wanted to try it without. It's delicious as is, but a splash of good red would be wonderful, too.

I don't remember what cut of beef I used as I picked up what was available from Laura's Lean Beef. I'd think any cut that doesn't require long braising would work. The cut I purchased was a bit thicker than the recipe calls for, so I slipped it into a ziplock bag and pounded it until the meat was 1/4-inch thick.

Just a little background info from Epicurious.com:
This Russian dish has been around for several centuries, but it wasn't until the fifties that it became all the rage in the United States (despite our fear of Communism).
Retro food strikes again!

Beef Stroganoff (From Everyday Food)

1 lb. beef tenderloin or trimmed rib-eye recommendedd: Laura's Lean Beef
Coarse salt and ground pepper
3 Tbsp. canola oil
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 lb. white mushrooms, sliced 1/2 inch thick
1 c. reduced-sodium beef broth
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 c. sour cream
Chopped fresh dill, for garnish (optional)
Egg noodles, cooked and kept warm.

Slice beef into 2-inch-long strips, each about 1 inch wide and 1/4 inch thick. Season generously with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over high heat. Brown meat in two batches, about 1 minute per side; remove from skillet, and set aside.

In same skillet, heat remaining tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Add mushrooms; cover. Cook until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Add broth; simmer, uncovered, until liquid has thickened, 6 to 8 minutes.

Stir mustard into mushroom mixture in skillet. Return beef to skillet; cook over medium-low heat until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in sour cream. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Serve immediately over egg noodles, and, if desired, garnish with chopped dill.

Grade: A

9 comments:

Acme Instant Food said...

It makes me happy to see you and your family eating beef again. *sigh* Good times.

Laura Rebecca said...

Not just any beef, though. Safe(r) beef. I'm still looking for locally and organically raise beef to use on a "regular" basis but, until then, I'm buying Laura's Lean Beef.

I just wish it was easier to find and buy responsibly raised beef (and food in general).

Anonymous said...

This recipe for strog looks sooooo much better than the Jamie Oliver one that I've been using - and the weather has decided to go from being warm and sunny to cold, rainy and CRUD so I'm in need of some warming comfort food...

Anonymous said...

Yes, delicous yes....but I agree most brown food(chocolate and peanut butter excluded) doesn't seem to photograph all that well.

Laura Rebecca said...

It looks like Alpo, right?

Teresa Calcao said...

I made it for dinner and it was very good......Thank you !

Laura Rebecca said...

Teresa, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for letting me know!

Anna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janet Chadwick said...

Oh WOW! Thanks for a brilliant recipe.. I just made it for my husband and I (to use up some sour cream), and it is fabulous. Tasty, creamy deliciousness!