Friday, March 23, 2007

Glazed Chicken with Carmelized Onions

Mmm, mmm! Steamy chicken goodness.


The original recipe is called Caramelized Onion Chicken but, frankly, this recipe doesn't have enough onions in it to justify that name. I doubled the amount of onions called for, and it still was pretty skimpy. So if you like onions (and I do), throw in two to three medium ones, sliced.

Having said all that, the chicken is delicious. There's a hint of sweetness from the jam (I swapped homemade strawberry for seedless raspberry) but that's balanced by the salt from the soy sauce and a tartness from the red wine vinegar. Minced ginger adds another dimension: all in all, a good meal. I paired this with roasted asparagus and balsamic roasted sweet potatoes.

Glazed Chicken with Caramelized Onions, née Caramelized Onion Chicken
1 pound chicken breast tenders
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup sliced onion (for lots of onion, use 2+ cups
1/2 cup strawberry or seedless raspberry jam
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon bottled minced ginger
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary

Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté 2 minutes. Add chicken to pan; sauté 8 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove onion and chicken from pan.
Add jam and remaining ingredients to pan; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk. Return chicken mixture to pan; cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 3 ounces chicken and 1 tablespoon sauce)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Yummmmmmmmm!

I think I'm gonna hafta make my take on this as well, but I'll use red onions, and I'll have to see what kinds of jams/jellies I have lyin' about

Lis said...

Sounds wonderful =)

Oh and btw, I've been eating roasted asparagus almost every night since reading your post. I've roasted them until crispy and they are like good-for-you french fries! Kinda! =)

barb said...

ya had me with carmelized onions!