Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Vegetarian Chili


On Monday, I played with a Goya recipe and came up with veggie chili.

Now, I am not a fan of veggie chili. I don't usually think chili isn't chili until it has pounds of artery clogging (yet responsibly raised) beef in it. And kidney beans? No thank you.

But maybe I'm changing my tune. This chili contains no beef or dreaded kidney beans, but has plenty of black and small red beans supported by a flavorful tomato base. Dinner came together quickly, and the result is both delicious and filling.

With nary a meat product in sight. How is that possible?

Serve as is, or top with a bit of shredded cheddar, a dollop of sour cream, and a few tortilla chips.

Veggie Chili
1 Tbsp oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper (or more), chopped
1/2 large red onion, chopped
2 15.5 oz cans black beans
1 15.5 oz can small red beans
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
3 packets Goya Sazon
salt and pepper to taste

In a large stockpot, heat oil over medium heat and saute garlic, pepper, and onion for about 3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Stirring frequently, turn heat to high and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low; let chili simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Grade: A-

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you just turned into my wife's hero!

She introduced me to Goya, not only just using it to wow me with her Puerto Rican creations, but by giving me the secret behind it's particular blend of flavors. It's a Puerto Rican Spice blend. Which I prefer over Mexican for the most part.

Laura Rebecca said...

Aww, thanks!

Linda said...

wow that chili really looks amazing. thanks for sharing the recipe!

i love chili but have never been able to make it quite to my liking. hopefully this will change everything!