Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Brother Boniface's Pumpkin Bread




When it comes to pumpkin desserts, they have to be well spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and/or clove for me to be over-the-moon for them. (I fell in love with masala chai at first sip because it reminded me of pumpkin pie.)

So when pumpkin desserts fit this bill, there are few foods that will make me happier (see Gingerbread Pumpkin Bars, Pescatore's Pie, Pumpkin Spice Cake with Honey Cream Frosting). And when they're not, it's a tiny disappointment.

This pumpkin bread, though moist, flavorful, and lightly sweet, just isn't spicy enough for me. Tasty but not swoon-worthy. But for those who like a more mellow and fall-inspired quick bread (and they're out there), this recipe should fit the bill nicely.

Brother Boniface's Pumpkin Bread (from Southern Living via My Recipes)

4 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
4 large eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
2/3 cup water
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)


Beat together all the ingredients-- except the pecans -- at medium speed with an electric mixer just combined. Fold in pecans. Spoon evenly into 2 greased and floured 9- x 5-inch loafpans OR 1 bundt pan.


Bake at 350-degrees F for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean (if baking in a bundt, this may take longer). Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.


2 comments:

Peabody said...

That is a bummer...I like my pumpkin to have some kick too!

Gretchen Noelle said...

I also enjoy spice in my cakes. Too bad this one did not meet the spice standards!