Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Pescatore's Prize Winning Double-Layer Pumpkin Pie

I know it would have been better have a photo of the pie showing the double layers but I forgot. What are you going to do?
The pumpkin shape on top was made gently pressing a cookie cutter into a graham cracker half.



About a year ago, Mark Pescatore (whom I occasionally write for) send me a recipe for his double layer pumpkin pie. The recipe was accompanied by this note:

"Oh so tasty. You may never bake a pumpkin pie again."

OK -- I will bake pumpkin pies again (I mean, really), but his recipe really is tasty. It even won second place in last weekends' Fall into Canandaigua Festival. (Side rant: apple crumb took first?!? )

The only change I made to the recipe was to use a home-made graham cracker crust, but a store-bought one will work just as nicely.


Pescatore's Prize Winning Double Layer Pumpkin Pie

Graham cracker crust, store bought or homemade (scroll down)

3 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 cup + 1 Tbsp cold milk or half & half, separated
1 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 cups whipped topping, thawed

2 pkgs. (4-serving size) vanilla instant pudding
15 oz. pumpkin puree
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cloves

Mix cream cheese, 1 Tbsp. milk, and sugar with wire whisk until smooth. Gently stir in whipped topping. Spread on bottom of crust.

Pour 1 cup milk into mixing bowl. Add pudding mix. Beat with wire whisk until well blended, 1-2 minutes. Let stand 3 minutes. Stir in pumpkin and spices; mix well. Spread over cream cheese layer. Refrigerate at least 2 hours. Garnish with additional whipped topping and nuts as desired.

8 comments:

breadchick said...

OH OH OH... A few years ago I made a similar pie from the back of a Jello Pudding box. It WAS the best thing ever and then I promptly lost (read: threw out) the pudding box. I had forgotten all about it until I saw this post. I just printed this so it can go in my recipe file for dessert sometime this week.

SQUUEEEEE!!!

Deborah said...

I have seen a recipe similar to this before, but have never tried it. I will be trying it this year!! But I do have to say, I have an apple crumb recipe that is my favorite pie. I just might have to make them both and have a contest!!

Peabody said...

That would have to be some gently cut to not get the graham craker to break...but it is a fun touch!

holly_44109 said...

My family LOVES plain old pudding pies so I bet they would enjoy this :)

Thanks for the congrats comment on my blog. I wish I had some crazy cravings to write about!

Anonymous said...

Wow Laura! That pie looks really really good! Here in France they dont seem to realize that pumpkin is indeed edible (and not poisonous!?!?)....perhaps I will have to enlighten them about the great things one can do with a pumpkin and make this pie for my colleagues. :)Thanks for the inspiration!

mpescatore said...

Yes, breadchick, I got this recipe from a pudding box or a tub of Cool Whip or something. I've been using it for more than a decade -- hey, if it works, why mess with it?

Anonymous said...

It really is prize winning. I made it for the pie baking contest at our local community theatre for Pump Boy's and Dinnette's and it won the contest. And so easy to make. Thanks D.E.

Laura Rebecca said...

Get OUT, D.E! Thank you for posting that -- and congratulations!!