Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Vosges' Mo's Bacon Bar


Chocolate + salt + bacon pieces = Mo's Bacon bar.

I really like the combination of sweet and salty. Chocolate covered pretzels, chocolate chip cookies with a slightly salty hit, and salted caramels are all up my alley.

So I nearly dropped dead when I spotted Mo's Bacon Bar at Parkleigh. Chocolate and Bacon? ("You got chocolate in my bacon!" "Hey, you got bacon in my chocolate!") I was already a fan of Vosges' milk chocolate, a smooth, creamy concoction. I can imagine some might find it too sweet, but I like it very much.
Biting into the Mo's bar, the chocolate has a decent snap. The first flavor that hits you is the chocolate, followed quickly by smoky salt notes. A very tasty combination.

And then you realise you're eating bacon. Once the chocolate melts away, you're left with little chewy bits of bacon and it's a texture I don't care for in the context of chocolate. It puts me off so much that I can't fully enjoy the flavor of the bar.

So, overall: good flavor, weird texture. I think Vosges could achieve a similar flavor profile -- without using pork -- by swapping the bacon for smoked almond bits. The bar would still combine sweet, smoky, and salty elements but the crunch of the almonds would be a nice contrast to the yielding texture of the chocolate.

Then again, "Mo's Smoky Almond Bar" just doesn't have the same impact.

5 comments:

Peabody said...

I'm not sure I am that brave...and I love bacon!

Deborah Eley De Bono said...

I have to find that!

Tara said...

I love bacon and I spent two months trying to find the Vosges Bacon Bar. I was a bit disappointed. I didn't get a lot of smoky flavor and the chewy bacon bits were a bit disconcerting. However, if you like the idea of salt in a candy bar, try the Barcelona Bar. It has grey sea salt and almonds - excellent.

Unknown said...

I just saw this at Whole Foods and I was quite shocked. I googled and found your post.

Anonymous said...

I gave a friend one for Christmas and we both liked it! It's not something I'd rush out and get again, but maybe someday. It was too weird to pass up.