Monday, June 18, 2007

Throw-It-Together-Almost-Seven-Layer-Dip




Written Saturday at 10:05 p.m.:

I have to bring a side to a picnic tomorrow, and all out of energy (Kian's birthday party was today and it was great, but we're exhausted, especially me, and I've got the I'm-tired-bitchies -- anyone looks at me crosseyed and I'm ready to rip their head off -- along with a clear case of stream-of-consciousness writing and an overuse of hypens and em-dashes) I went to the store, threw a bunch of ingredients in my basket and slapped a seven layer dip together (one with six layers). I think it will work.

Written Sunday at 4:42p.m.:

It worked: really, really well. The heat from the refried beans and salsa was tempered by the cool tang of the sour cream, the black beans added substance, and the guacamole added a fresh kick. If it hadn't been completely devoured, I'd be eating some right now.


Throw-It-Together-Almost-Seven-Layer-Dip

16 oz (1 container) sour cream
1 packet taco seasoning
16 oz (1 can) refried beans with jalapenos (or add some diced jalapenos to plain refried beans)
9 oz. (about 1 1/2 cups) guacamole (homemade or store-bought)
16 oz. (1 jar) black beans, drained
16 oz (1 jar) hot salsa
1 to 2 cups shredded "Mexican-blend" cheese (or a cheese of your liking)

In a small bowl, combine sour cream with about 75-percent of the taco seasoning. Taste, adding more seasoning, if desired.

In the bottom of a glass 10-inch pie plate, evenly spread the refried beans. Top with guacamole, black beans, salsa, and seasoned sour cream, evenly spreading each layer before adding another. Top with cheese; chill for several hours to allow flavors to meld. Serve with tortilla chips.

(Note: using lower fat products -- like low fat sour cream and fat free refried beans -- reduces the calories and fat in this recipe but retains the flavor. )

3 comments:

Lis said...

Sounds very tasty!

And you're more of a woman than I'll ever be (like that even makes sense) because I would have done the ripping of heads in that state of exhaustion. I would NOT have driven to the store, shopped, and put together a dip. Bless you.

xoxo

Unknown said...

I can confirm that the dip stays good with low-fat products. In fact, at a party I attended, there was a low-fat one and regular one and we thought the low-fat was better!

Laura Rebecca said...

Aww, thanks Lis! You're too kind.

Claire, thanks for vote of confidence!

One thing to watch out for: use low fat, NOT fat free, sour cream. I find fat free sour cream to be looser in consistancy and lacking in flavor -- it's a sad substitute. (But low fat sour cream is pretty good, go figure...)