Thursday, September 28, 2006

World Bread Day: End of the Season Zucchini Bread



This is Carolyn's recipe, which I had the fortune to taste when her daughter, Kathryn, recently made it. It was delicious - sweet, spicy, packed with flavor.

Mine isn't as flavorful, and I think it's because I forgot to put in the vanilla. (Yeah. Oops.) It's still very good, just not as delicious as Carolyn and Kathryn's. Still, it speaks volumes about the recipe -- if you can leave out a key ingredient and still have a pretty good result, the recipe has to be a good one.

The yield is a little odd. In addition to a 9-inch loaf, I was also able to get 13 very full miniature muffins. Not bad if you want to give the loaf away as a gift, but still be able to nibble on your handiwork.

Thanks to Kochtopf for hosting World Bread Day!

End of the Season Zucchini Bread
3 eggs
2 cups grated zucchini
1 c. oil
1 Tbsp. vanilla
3 cups flour
1 cups sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat over to 325-degrees F. Grease and flour a 9-inch bread pan (and, if you'd like to use the extra batter, line the cups of 13 mini muffin cups).

Beat eggs in a large bowl. Add in all the other ingredients, except the nuts, and mix until just combined. Fold in nuts. Scoop batter into pans and bake mini muffins for approximately 18 minutes; the loaf for 80 to 90 minutes.

Grade: Carolyn's, A; Mine, B+

2 comments:

Lis said...

My garden didn't give me enough zucchini to make bread this year *sob* Will you send me some? Pwease?

Anonymous said...

I didn't really get any zucchini from people this year so I didn't bake it :(
Yours looks great.