Friday, September 08, 2006

Banana Pancakes


These pancakes are FANTASTIC. Delicious! Superb! Light and tender, the flavor of banana bursts through with each bite. Very evocotive of bananas Foster -- you almost don’t need maple syrup.

Make these very, very soon.

(Thanks to Nandita for hosting Weekend Breakfast Blogging!)

Banana Pancakes (adapted from Good Things For Kids, Summer 2006)

2 Tbs. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup flour
½ tsp. salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup milk
2 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted, plus more for the pan
2 bananas, peeled and sliced into ¼-inch rounds

Preheat oven to 175-degrees F. In a medium bowl, whish sugar, baking powder, flour, and salt. Add egg, milk, and butter, whisking to combine but still slightly lumpy. (According to The Martha, slightly lumpy pancake batter results in lighter, fluffier pancakes. Who knew? – LR)

Heat a large nonstick skilled over medium heat. Place three to four banana slices in the skillet and spoon batter over them. Cook until large bubbles cover the surface, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip carefully and cook until other side is golden, about 1 minute. Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in oven.

Repeat with remaining batter and banana slices. Saute extra banana slices in butter until golden and serve with pancakes. Leftover pancakes can be wrapped and refrigerated; simply reheat and serve. Serves 3.

Grade: A+


Urp!

6 comments:

Acme Instant Food said...

I'm in Hell. Ed is on this "diet" thingy and only eats real food at dinner. I want to make these SOOOO bad but I'm just not that cruel. Maybe I can send him out on some errand tomorrow morning...yeah...that's the ticket...an errand! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh god, WHY are our bananas still so expensive?? *sobs* As much as these make me drool, methinks I'll have to wait till the $12/kg price drops to make them for me and my family!

christine said...

OMIGOD, that looks divine! I feel like reaching into the screen and grabbing that plate. I have to try that VERY soon. Maybe I'll play Jack Johnson's "Banana Pancakes" as I whip up some. :)

Anonymous said...

Those do look yummy.

Unknown said...

Laura,
The round up comes up today and let me tell you these are one of the most delicious pancakes I've seen. With so many people on the blogosphere cribbing about HIGH banana prices, I almost feel guilty here, (touchwood) bananas here (in Bombay) are 20 Rs a dozen, that's less than 50cents :P

Unknown said...

Hey, can we please use your banana pancakes photo for a non-profit school project? You will be fully credited.