Thursday, July 20, 2006

Grilled Shrimp Skewers with Summer Fruit Salsa

Photo courtesy of CookingLight.com.



Our good friends Ken and Andrea invited us to dinner last night. We had grilled shrimp with a fruit salsa; Andrea had found the recipe in the June issue of Cooking Light. (Lis, I thought of you!) Andrea and I did the prep work -- basically lots of chopping -- and Ken cooked the shrimp. (Shane drank East India Pale Ale and ate tortilla chips -- hee hee.)

It's a lovely, light, summer's meal. (Especially when you can eat it on your friends' deck, overlooking Seneca Lake.) When I make this again -- and I will -- I'm going to try leaving out the mint, pepper, and onions. I think a purely sweet salsa with be an interesting complement to the shrimp.

(Thanks to Adam for hosting Carnival of the Grill!)



Grilled Shrimp Skewers with Summer Fruit Salsa

Salsa:
1/2 cup chopped ripe plum (about 1)
1/2 cup diced apricots (about 2)
1/2 cup diced nectarine (about 1)
2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh mint
2 tablespoons diced red onion
1 tablespoon minced seeded serrano chile (we used a jalepeno)
1 teaspoon grated lime rind
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
12 sweet cherries, pitted and halved
1 green onion, finely chopped

Shrimp:
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 garlic clove, minced
24 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 2 pounds)
Cooking spray
6 lime wedges
Mint sprigs (optional)

To prepare salsa, combine the first 13 ingredients in a medium bowl; stir well. Cover and chill 1 hour.

Prepare grill.

To prepare shrimp, place butter, 2 teaspoons juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, garlic, and shrimp in a large bowl; toss to coat. Thread 4 shrimp onto each of 6 (12-inch) skewers. Place kebabs on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill for 3 minutes on each side or until shrimp are done. Serve with salsa and lime wedges. Garnish with mint sprigs, if desired. Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 kebab, 1/3 cup salsa, and 1 lime wedge)

Grade: A-


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

All of you guys are humbling me with your excellent grilled food.

Laura Rebecca said...

Gee, Adam; could you be any nicer? ;)

Rachel said...

That looks good! I've never grilled shrimp before.

Acme Instant Food said...

Add a watermelon margarita and dinner is served!!! Sounds delish.

Laura Rebecca said...

Rachel, shrimp is the only thing I can grill without an instand read themometer in hand. It's so easy -- make some soon.

Kevin: do you have a recipe for that drink?

Acme Instant Food said...

I don't have a "proper" recipe, It's one of those things that I wing.

Puree a sweet, seedless watermelon until completely obliterated. I use those small, Dulcinea Pureheart watermelons. If the melon isn't bursting with summery goodness, you can add some sugar syrup to sweeten. To this puree I add silver tequila, lime juice (fresh makes a big difference), triple sec or Grand Marnier. Mix well and serve over lots of ice. I honestly can't give you good measurements for the ingredients because I always "eyeball" it. I suppose it's somewhere around 2 parts tequila to one part lime juice and maybe 3/4 part Grand Marnier--all of this to as much melon puree as taste dictates. Surprisingly enough, this drink is good with a VERY lightly salted rim--not the heavy snow fall of salt usually found on a regular 'rita.

Lis said...

Wow, that salsa looks heavenly. Paired with the shrimp it had to be awesome. I really am embarrassed about all the hullaballo I've caused regarding Cooking Light.. simply because I really never got how good cooking without a stick of butter could be. With that said, I know Paula is probably striking me from her will. *sigh*

Also - Kevin, great idea about the margaritas.. I think I'll whip up a batch or two of those for our party coming up, thanks!