Friday, July 28, 2006

Chocolate Jello Pudding Pops



There are few Cosby-related items I remember vividly from childhood:

Fat Albert, watched in the afternoon on FOX 5. (The Brown Hornet: a tv show within a tv show. So meta!)

The Cosby Show, with Claire Huxtable as perfection in an 80s power suit. (Pretty! Smart! Sophisticated! Did I mention pretty?)

Chocolate Jell-o Pudding Pops; loved them. So much better than a fudgesicle – so worth begging for in the freezer section of Waldbaum’s. Opening the plastic wrapper would release a tiny puff of artic air and the vague scent of chocolate. Each pop would be carefully raked with my insicors, removing the delicate layer of ice before allowing myself to savor the chocolately goodness.

I can’t find them now, so I tried to make them at home. I accidentally bought Chocolate Fudge pudding instead of regular chocolate, so the flavor is off -- at least, I think that's it. The flavor isn't as sweet, nor is the consistancy as milky (and no protective layer ice!).

If you like chocolate popsicles, then by all means, whip these up. But they don’t have Bill Cosby’s seal of approval.

Thanks to Meeta at What's For Lunch, Honey? for hosting Monthly Mingle #3!

JELL-O Homemade Pudding Pops (recipe from Kraft)

2 cups cold 2-percent milk
1 pkg. (4-serving size) JELL-O Instant Pudding & Pie Filling, any flavor

Pour cold milk into medium bowl. Add pudding mix. Beat with wire whisk 2 minutes. Spoon into 6 (5-oz.) paper or plastic cups. Insert wooden pop stick or plastic spoon into each for handle.

Freeze 5 hours or until firm. To remove pop from cup, place bottom of cup under warm running water for 15 seconds. Press firmly on bottom of cup to release pop. (Do not twist or pull pop stick.) Store leftover pops in freezer.

Grade: B

Please can I have one?



6 comments:

Marianne said...

To get the consistency you're looking for with the pudding pops, try these things: use cook and serve chocolate pudding, not the instant kind. Then, place it in an ice cream maker to aerate it--this will keep it from freezing into an icey block. Once it is the consistency of very soft soft-serve, spoon it into the molds and freeze until firm.

Laura Rebecca said...

Wow, Marianne, thanks for the tip! I'll have to try that with the vanilla sitting in my cabinet...

Anonymous said...

Great entry, Laura!

Anonymous said...

I love it!!!!

Anonymous said...

Awww, they're so cute! I adore the little mint green pop-sticks you have!

Jennifer said...

Actually, I hadn't heard the name "Claire" before Clair Huxtable....I loved it so much that I named one of my daughters Claire :)!