Tuesday, April 04, 2006

BBQ Chicken Casserole

This recipe comes from the back of a package of Simply Potatoes Shredded Hash Browns. It’s listed on the site and yet, when you click on the link, it just takes you to an all-purpose recipe page. Very wonky.

I’m posting it here (slightly adapted) because it’s very easy to make and very tasty to eat. (It pairs well with Patate Douce Casserole Avec Peeps -- and now you know exactly what we had for dinner.)

The barbeque sauce is the primary seasoning here, so choose one you love. I left out the cilantro leaves because they’re what I imagine evil tastes like.

BBQ Chicken Casserole

1 pkg. Simply Potatoes Shredded Hash Browns (or 20 oz. potatoes, peeled and shredded)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 lb. chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
1-1/4 c. bbq sauce, or more to taste (Recommended: Sweet Baby Ray’s Honey barbecue sauce)
Fresh cilantro (optional)

Preheat oven to 400-degrees. In a medium bowl, combine hash browns, onion, oil, salt and pepper and mix well. Spread the mixture in the bottom of a 9x13-baking dish. Top with chicken breasts; spread bbq sauce evenly over chicken. Bake until chicken is no longer pink, about 45 minutes. Top with cilantro if desired, but why ruin a perfectly good meal?

Grade: A

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried this recipe this evening. I did exactly as stated and even purchased the same BBQ sauce that you
mentioned. My husband thought this recipe was bland. I agree. My five year old who loves BBQ didn't care for it either. I don't know what I would do to change it. It seems like it has potential. Nope, we didn't put Cilantro on it either! Maybe changing the BBQ sauce to something zestier might do the trick.

Laura Rebecca said...

I'm sorry it wasn't to your liking! You might try:
adding 8 oz shredded cheddar (which the original recipe calls for but I left out), increasing the amount of onion, and/or use a BBQ sauce that you know and like.

If you try it again, please let me know how it went!

Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon this recipe on your blog while doing a Google search for a barbecue chicken casserole. I (kind of) made it for dinner tonight, and it was a hit! I used what I had -- frozen Ore-Ida potatoes O'Brien, so the potatoes had onions and red peppers in them already, and I left out the onions the recipe called for; deboned, smoked chicken, which I just mixed with the barbecue sauce; and I did add the cheddar to the top. I have to add that the ONLY reason I didn't add cilantro to the dish is because I didn't have any on hand -- I LOVE that stuff (and I swear I'm not evil). Oh, and while cooking the potatoes, I added some carribean jerk seasoning. Even my crazy, super-picky three-year-old gobbled it up. Yum!

Anonymous said...

Add crumbled bacon and use the cheese, it's excellent!!