Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Corn "Fluff"





It's a pretty wintery day here today -- all the area schools have been closed (except MINE) and Shane is staying home from work, so even though I'm probably going in (let's face it, I am) it still feels like a bit of a vacation day. A good time to play catch-up on a recipe I hadn't posted.


I'm not a big fan of corn bread, but I'll wolf down a plate of corn fluff anytime. It's a blend of savory and sweet, with a consistency approximating bread pudding. I especially love the little bits of corn kernels studding the bread.


This is comfort food at it's simplest, and a great side dish for a winter's night meal.


Corn Fluff
one 15 1/4-ounce can whole kernel corn, drained
one 14 3/4-ounce can cream-style corn
one 8-ounce package corn muffin mix (such as Jiffy)
1 cup sour cream
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup (half a stick) butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350-degrees F; grease a glass pie plate or small baking dish.

In a large bowl, stir together the two cans of corn, corn muffin mix, sour cream, egg, and butter. Pour into prepared pie plate/dish.

Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Yields 6 to 8 servings.

6 comments:

Kini said...

We make this too! We call it "corn stuff" and know others who've gone as far to call it a "corn souffle."

Love the photo!

Peabody said...

I love that stuff...my mom calls it corn souffle...as if that is fooling anyone.

Laura Rebecca said...

It's so good, isn't it? I'll fight people at the table for it, too. ;)

Helene said...

Since I don't like corn bread and that I trust your judgement I will try this next time. Looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Chi Chis restaurant had a similar
dish, I found the recipe on line. It is my most requested dish - it is outrageous!!!

here's the link
http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/353/chi-chi's-sweet-corn-cake.html

Kevin

Coralie said...

This is incredible, my uncle used to serve this in his restaurant, except that his was placed in a bowl and drowned in maple syrup. I have been craving it for years, can't wait to try the recipe!