Thursday, July 26, 2007

Food Love: Installation No. 1 -- Tony Chachere's Original Creaole Seasoning

Read about Food Love here.



I don’t fully know what’s in Tony Chachere’s Original Creole Seasoning -- the ingredients list reads mysteriously: “ salt, red pepper and other spices, garlic and silicon dioxide (to prevent caking)” -- but it packs a spicy and delicious wallop. (It must be all the tasty silicon.)

In the past week since I discovered it (I must be the last one to the party since it’s been around since 1972), I’ve sprinkled it on fish, burgers, pizza, beans and rice, and right now, popcorn. My tongue and lips are tingling with flavor and fire, and I can’t wait to figure out what its jolts of heat and flavor will perk up next.

I know this probably doesn’t make sense, but it’s “zazzy.” And I like it.

6 comments:

Deborah Eley De Bono said...

Love the stuff, do try it on corn on the cob. I never use butter anymore, just this.

Laura Rebecca said...

GREAT idea! Thank you!

Unknown said...

LOVE Tony's! This was a staple for my family when we lived overseas for a year.

Peabody said...

I have no idea where to find this.

Laura Rebecca said...

Claire, we used it all the time when we went camping last week. (Maybe it's a vacation spice. ;) )

Peabody, I picked it up at Tops, but you can order it through Tony Chachere's website or on Amazon.

Anonymous said...

I grew up on the stuff in La. and have been looking for the past few weeks at all the markets in my city. They used to carry it, now I cant find it. have to call my sister and ask her to send me a couple of shakers. None of the other Cajun seasonings come close. My dad used to work for Sears in the days of local merchandising- he was a merchandise manager and one of his buying depts was housewares. He was the first person to buy from Tony in bulk and make a big splash in BR, La.
Kimmen