Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Crunchy Granola



What better way to celebrate a new blog design than with a granola? Huh? Huh? How?

OK. I know I'm reaching. Granola isn't that exciting. But my house is packed up for the move and I was in the mood for granola. Not having much on hand, I looked for a very paired down recipe. I found it with Kathleen Daelemans's recipe for crunchy granola.

It is VERY crunchy -- crunchier than you'd expect -- but it's also a tasty and healthy snack. Shane and I ate it up pretty quickly as is, but I'm sure it would be great with milk for breakfast, or sprinkled in some yogurt. I'm not sure I'd make it again simply because I'd like more "stuff" in the granola, but I did enjoy this.

Crunchy Granola

1 1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup water
4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
8 cups rolled oats
2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, or slivered almonds

Preheat oven to 275 degrees F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper and reserve.

Combine brown sugar and water in a 4-cup microwave proof glass measuring cup or bowl. Place in microwave on high for 5 minutes and cook until sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from microwave, add vanilla extract and salt.

In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, nuts, and brown sugar syrup mixture. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Spread the granola onto cookie sheets and bake 45 minutes to 1 hour or until golden and crunchy.

When the mixture comes out of the oven, it is still very pliable. You may choose to add in dried fruit as a finishing touch at this time. When granola has cooled completely, store in an airtight container.

Grade: B

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing that a granola is much like a toasted muesli (just because I've never actually come across it before), but maybe some fresh fruit thrown in would've gone down nice?

Love the new layout, and good luck with your move!

Fran said...

Love the new look! The recipe sounds yummy. I think maybe dried blueberries or cranberries and maybe something chocolate? Good luck on your move.

Anonymous said...

The new layout is berry nice!

(I'm sorry. I know. It's painful. I couldn't resist...)

Really, I like it a lot -- I love how the blueberries frame the header. Congrats on the new look!

Perhaps dried mango (and maybe even dried pineapple) would work well in the granola recipe? That would definitely jazz it up. I agree -- I love having lots of different goodies in my granola, too, and I always eat it plain. No milk for me!

Genie
The Inadvertent Gardener

Anonymous said...

Sweet granola! And sweeter blog design!

Anonymous said...

I like the new blog duds.Good luck with the move.

Acme Instant Food said...

Only Laura Rebecca could manage to maneuver through a packed household and still find the time (and the energy) to make granola! I could snack on that all day! All the best to ya!

Miasys said...

Looks yum- your granola and your new site! Have been looking for a new granola recipe, and this might do the trick for my morning yogurt. Thank you!

Laura Rebecca said...

Thank all of you for your granola suggestions and well wishes!