Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Outrageous Triple Chocolate Cookies



This recipe is based on Martha Stewart's Outrageous Chocolate Cookies. They're amazingly good -- the kind of recipe you make to enthrall other people with your baking prowess.

The recipe popped into my mind after trying Green & Black's white chocolate. I don't like white chocolate but, after getting a rave review on Candy Blog, I wanted to give it a try. I'm so glad I did! It's fabulous: creamy and sweet with hits of vanilla, visually illustrated by flecks of vanilla bean. Once I tasted it, I knew I had to work it into a recipe.

Hence this adaptation: Outrageous Triple Chocolate Cookies. The batter derives its chocolate flavor from melted semisweet, which is pushed over the top by bittersweet and white chocolate chips studding the dough. The white chocolate provides a nice counterpoint to the rest of the cookie's intense chocolate flavor (not that there's anything wrong with that).

It's a decadent cookie; one easily satifies a hard core chocolate craving.

That is, until you reach for another.

Outrageous Triple Chocolate Cookies

8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, roughly chopped
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
2/3 c. all-purpose flour
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
2 large eggs
¾ c. packed light-brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
6 oz. dark chocolate chunks or chips (recommended Ghirardelli 60% Cacao
Bittersweet Chocolate chips)
6 oz. white chocolate, chopped (recommended: Green & Black’s White Chocolate bars)

Preheat oven to 350-degrees F. Heat chopped semi-sweet chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl in 20-second increments, stirring between each, until almost melted; do not overheat. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.

In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla on high speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low; beat in melted chocolate. Mix in flour mixture until just combined. Stir in chocolate chunks. (Note: Don’t worry if the batter seems thin. It should look more like a brownie batter than a cookie dough.)

Drop heaping tablespoons of dough 2 to 3 inches apart onto baking sheets. Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until cookies are shiny and crackly yet soft in centers, 12 to 15 minutes. Do not bake the cookies to a crisp; they are meant to be soft and chewy.

Cool on sheets 10 minutes; with a thin metal spatula, transfer to racks to cool completely. Store them in an airtight container at room temperature for two to three days.

Makes 2 dozen.
---

Click this banner to vote for this recipe &
register to win a FREE trip to the Death By Chocolate Festival in Napa Valley!

8 comments:

Lis said...

Am so making these tonight! UGH!
teeeeeeeeee!

Acme Instant Food said...

I have a problem with recipes like this. You claim it yields 2 dozen cookies. False advertising. I usually get around 6 or 7 cookies. First problem, you must taste test a hunk of dough first to make sure it's ready to bake. Then, the phone rings as your dropping dough on the sheets so you've got to stop and (lick?) wipe your hands. After you hang up, you've got to taste test again to make sure it didn't spoil while you were gabbing. Finally, you don't want to risk scratching your new stainless mixing bowl with a spoon (all the rubber spatulas are dirty and locked in the dishwasher in the middle of a cycle) so you must use your fingers to remove the last clumps of chocolaty dough. I'm telling you--7 cookies out of the oven--max! Please correct your posting.

Laura Rebecca said...

I tried to come up with a witty response Acme, but I just can't top that.

Sigh. I will just have to console myself with a cookie.

Anonymous said...

I don't care how many you get from the recipe.They just look fantastic!

tanvi said...

Wow. These are my kind of cookie! :-)

Anonymous said...

Awesome photos, I can almost smell the chocolate wafting through my computer screen!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow! I'm drooling!

BVM said...

I would love to try these for Valentine's Day!